In The City of Cats
Sarawak, East Malaysia. You’ve finally arrived in Kuching, gateway to Northwestern Borneo and the start of your 21st Century adventure in the tropics. Kuching, the capital city of Sarawak and the most populous metropolis in the state, is one of the most vibrant cities in the region. The word ‘Kuching’ means ‘cat’, and true to its name, cat statues dot the city centre.
That aside, a variety of delights await you as you scoot around greater Kuching for the next few days. You’ll get to be the modern-day explorer, treasure hunter, naturalist or adventurer, whichever takes your fancy.
DAY 1: RUNNING A-MEOW IN CAT CITY
- Arrive at Kuching International Airport where a litter of Cat Dancers wait to welcome you.
- Head to the centre of Cat City in the adventure vehicle waiting outside. Check into your hotel.
- It’s just about time for lunch. Adventurers move on their stomachs, so dig in before you set out to explore the city.
- Free and easy. Watch a movie, drop by any of Kuching’s fascinating museums or have a cocktail by the pool.
- Before you know it, the afternoon is over and it’s time to reconvene at the lobby.
- Dinner will be a variety of fusion and local dishes.
- Then it’ll be time to head back to the hotel for a good night’s rest for tomorrow is another adventure!
DAY 2: A HEART FOR HUMANITY
Habitat for Humanity is an international body whose aim is to help build decent, affordable housing for families in need. Habitat has a Kuching chapter which has already built over 20 houses around the greater Kuching area.
- Rise and shine to the heartbeat of Cat City. Breakfast awaits the adventurer at the hotel eatery.
- Meet up at the lobby. Today, you’ll be volunteering at a Habitat For Humanity project.
- Head for the village where the project site is and you’ll be given a short briefing on what to do and how to do it.
- A friendly football match awaits before you start work.
- Take a rest before you start working.
- Village lunch. You’ll be about as hungry as a water buffalo.
- Have a short breather, and then it’s back to work until the sun draws lower in the horizon.
- Don’t go yet, because the family for whom you just built the house and Habitat would like to thank you in a special moment of appreciation.
- It’s time to head back to the hotel for a well-earned rest.
- Kick up your heels at the immensely fun Carwash Party. Dress casual for it’s an evening of food, fun and carwashes at the Original Carwash.
DAY 3: A WALK ON THE WILD SIDE
Exciting moments are at hand today as you’ll get to mingle with some original locals. Forty minutes from the city, Semenggoh is an island of natural forest that is home to a group of semi-wild orang utans, most of which were rescued from the illegal wildlife trade or confiscated from unscrupulous smugglers. Here, the endearing ‘man of the forest’, for that is what the words ‘orang utan’ mean, have a safe haven and are taught to live life in their natural habitat once more.
- Top-of-the-morning wake-up call!
- Right, you’ve had your breakfast. It’s time to watch the orang utans at Semenggoh have theirs. Your transport will bring you there.
- Get acquainted with the “Heart to Heart Programme”, a special line-up on orang utan conservation in Sarawak.
- A stone’s throw away from Semenggoh is the Borneo Highlands Resort. That’s where you’re headed next.
- Arrive at the foothills for a Borneo welcome by the Resort staff.
- Indulge in a cool drink and relaxing foot massage.
- Lunch will be a fully organic affair, with greens from the Resort’s very own organic gardens.
- Dress up to the nines, ladies and gentlemen, for you’ll be going to the Casino Royale ala James Bond.
- Meet at the lobby and be whisked away to a secret venue.
- Razzle and dazzle at the Casino Royale Theme Party gala dinner.
DAY 4: A FAREWELL FIT FOR ROYALTY
Today is special. You get to walk along the banks of the Sarawak River, the grand old lady who has hosted kings and queens on her waters. Walk along the picturesque Kuching Waterfront and perhaps do a spot of people-watching. There’s still time for last-minute shopping for souvenirs and handicrafts before you head for the airport.
- Check out.
- Breakfast is good old-fashioned Kuching fare at a local kopitiam.
- A special farewell ceremony by Kuching’s Maiden and Maid.
- Off to Kuching International Airport and onwards home.