This adventure brings the delegate from the Resort City of Miri in Sarawak’s northeast deep into the caves of Mulu National Park, Sarawak’s biggest treasure and first World Heritage Site. Air out the adventure gear because you’ll need all of the sunblock, trekking shoes, explorer’s outfit, swimwear, mossie repellant and other equipment that you’ve got packed away at home.
DAY 1: OVER FOREST CANOPIES AND INTO THE CAVES
Intrepid travellers, start adventuring! The next few days will see you exploring the wondrous caves of Mulu National Park Sarawak’s first World Heritage Site.
- Arrive in Miri International Airport.
- Then it’s away to the hotel and a brief hello to Miri, Resort City of Sarawak.
- Travelling is hungry work. Lunch at a local seafood restaurant, then it’s free and easy for a short while.
- After that, it’s back to the airport for your short afternoon flight to Mulu National Park.
- Check into the elegant Resort that blends into its surroundings.
- There a local guide will give you all the information you need to have a fabulous time.
Have early dinner at the Resort, then gear up for a walk to the Park’s headquarters.
- Dive straight into a series of activities called ‘Treasures of Mulu’. This will last the entire trip.
- Then, switch on the headlamps and head for the canopy walk. Have a magical commune with the tree-dwelling creatures of the night.
DAY 2: CLEAR WATERS AND SECRET CAVES
It’s a day of cave spelunking and exploration today. Jump on a boat and speed away to the Wind and Clearwater Caves where you’ll continue with ‘Treasures of Mulu’.
- Rise and shine, and breakfast at the Resort.
- Depart for Wind and Clearwater Caves. In good adventures, half the fun is getting there. The boat rides to the Caves are truly part of the adventure!
- Second installment of “Treasures of Mulu”.
- Take a walk along the cliff-side plankwalk from Wind Cave to Clearwater Cave, where the waters are so clear that you won’t realize how deep the water is until you jump in.
- Then it’s time to head back to Park headquarters and onwards to Lang and Deer Caves.
- Be awed by the natural structures of the caves. See what these structures remind you off.
- More ‘Treasures of Mulu’ will follow as you wait by the caves to see the legendary ‘dragon’ of Mulu.
- There is a mysterious structure just outside the Deer Cave. It looks like an area for spectators of some sort, built in a semi-circle.
- Sit yourself down and wait. Something amazing is about to happen. The Dragon is about to come out and feed. It is a true wonder of the natural world.
- After that, you will be escorted to a sumptuous Kuman Burah Duneh dinner and ceremony with the ethnic Berawan people before you return to the resort for a good night’s sleep.
DAY 3: SOFT ADVENTURES
Even hardy explorers need a rest. Today, you’ll be off to Lagang Cave after breakfast for some easy adventure caving.
- Brekkie at the Resort.
- A venture into adventure at Lagang Cave, where a “Special Soft Adventure” awaits you.
- Play out the final part of “Treasures of Mulu”.
- And then it’s a special awards presentation at the Discovery Centre of the Park headquarters.
- More scrumptious food for lunch.
- Time to go back to the Resort to freshen up and check out.
- Bye-bye Mulu and hello Miri.
- Check into your hotel in Miri.
- All this jet-setting is tiring! You’ll get a chance to rest and freshen up before your evening at the high end of town.
- You’ll be sped off to a posh restaurant for some fine-dining and enjoy the finer side of this ol’ oil town.
- Then it’s back to the hotel to recount your days of adventure from forest to foie gras.
DAY 4: SOCIALLY RESPONSIBLE CORPORATES
Today is a day of variety. You’ll be hands-on in Corporate Social Responsibility activities in the morning and jazzing the town red by night. The annual Miri International Jazz Festival is back in town. Jazz musicians from all over the world gather in this old oil town and play their hearts out to an equally international audience. The Miri Jazz Festival has made such a name for itself that tourists from overseas come back for more every year.
- Breakfast at your hotel.
- Meet up with the Hospital Administrator and get an overview of how much a simple CSR programme means to the people.
- After that, you will be off to Miri General Hospital to brighten up the day of children at the Cancer Ward. They have a special presentation for you. Why not bring a gift for them?
- Help brighten up the Paediatrics Ward. They probably wouldn’t mind colourful murals and cheerful décor.
- After lunch, it’s back to the hotel for a free and easy afternoon.
- You’ll find out just how jazzy tropical Borneo is because the Miri International Jazz Festival is in town!
- You’ll be transported to the venue where you’ll be attending the ‘Jazz It Up’ Theme Cocktail at the VIP tent area.
- Enjoy the concert, jazz the night away.
- But if you’d like to make it an early night, a special transport is ever ready at your beck and call.
DAY 5: AWAY AWAY, MIRI FOR ANOTHER DAY
All good adventures come to an end. Pack up your shopping and put away the camera. Store up the memory of your 4-day adventure for it’s time to bid Miri adieu.
- Breakfast at your hotel.
- Check out and transfer to Miri International Airport.