Selecting a Date
- A successful conference usually requires at least a 2-year timeline from bidding to staging the event.
- Avoid public holidays, major annual events or competing conventions.
- Avoid the beginning and end of local school holidays to ensure airline seat availability.
- Be as flexible as possible with dates. Selecting off-peak periods may reduce costs and avoid potential competition.
- The most favourable conference rates can usually be obtained during the fasting month of Ramadan, the Muslim holy month.
Select & Book Venue Well in Advance
- SCB can source venue quotations on your behalf so that you can make early and informed decisions.
- SCB will introduce relevant sales representatives and carry out thorough site inspections.
- SCB will verify what services are available in-house (such audio-visual, catering, cleaning facilities and others).
- SCB requests detailed price lists to help you make cost comparisons.
Selecting Supporting Accommodation
- Choosing accommodation is never easy. There is the ease of management, the most appropriate space for all aspects, and of course what the paying delegates would prefer. Consult with us for the best advice on this matter in Sarawak.
- Check booking conditions, especially payment terms, minimum and maximum room blocks and room release policies.
Selecting Professional Assistance
- Approach more than one professional conference organiser to gain a comparison of services provided and associated costs. Remember, sponsorship support depends somewhat on evidence that will indicate how well the conference will be managed.
- Ask the tendering organisers to specify all services provided especially registration, event promotion, bookings and travel, event management, venue liaison, vendor liaison, budget management and sponsorship. Request a detailed cost breakdown, cost of potential add-ons and full disclosure of any commission structure.
- Ensure that the professional conference organiser has experience in organising your type of event.
- Prepare convincing sponsorship proposals. Identify appropriate sponsorship prospects and make contact in the early stages.
- Ensure that sponsorship terms and conditions are agreeable to both parties.
- Develop attractive tailor-made sponsor benefits packages, including CSR (SCB can help with advice.
Promoting the Convention
- Start your marketing early (at least 9 and preferably 12 months in advance).
- Check with the Bureau for delegate boosting advice and support.
- Seek marketing assistance from sponsors.