Convention Planning Checklist
Selecting a Date
- A successful conference usually requires at least a 2-year timeline from bidding to staging the event.
- Avoid public holidays, major annual events or competing conventions.
- Avoid the beginning and end of local school holidays to ensure airline seat availability.
- Be as flexible as possible with dates. Selecting off-peak periods may reduce costs and avoid potential competition.
- The most favourable conference rates can usually be obtained during the fasting month of Ramadan, the Muslim holy month.
Select & Book Venue Well in Advance
- SCB can source venue quotations on your behalf so that you can make early and informed decisions.
- SCB will introduce relevant sales representatives and carry out thorough site inspections.
- SCB will verifies what services are available in-house (such audio-visual, catering, cleaning facilities and others).
- SCB requests detailed price lists to help you make cost comparisons.
Selecting Supporting Accommodation
- Choose accommodation that is easily accessible to the primary venue. Hotels that are close to the venue will reduce transport costs and increase delegate convenience and satisfaction.
- Check booking conditions, especially payment terms, minimum and maximum room blocks and room release policies.
Selecting Professional Assistance
- Approach more than one professional conference organiser to gain a comparison of services provided and associated costs.
- Ask the tendering organisers to specify all services provided, especially registration, event promotion, bookings and travel, event management, venue liaison, vendor liaison, budget management and sponsorship. Request detailed cost breakdown, cost of potential add-ons and full disclosure of any commission structure.
- Ensure that the professional conference organiser has experience in organising your type of event.
- Prepare convincing sponsorship proposals. Identify appropriate sponsorship prospects and make contact in the early stages.
- Ensure that sponsorship terms and conditions are agreeable to both parties.
- Develop attractive tailor-made sponsor benefits packages.
Promoting the Convention
- Start your marketing early (at least 9 and preferably 12 months in advance).
- Check with the Bureau for delegate boosting advice and support.
- Seek marketing assistance from sponsors.